The Sofa Store/The Big Screen presented the Luskin Family Community Service Award to Deborah S. Phelps, humanitarian and director of The Education Foundation of Baltimore County Public Schools, Inc., during a reception on Thursday, October 29, 2015, from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at The Sofa Store, 1125 Cromwell Bridge Road, Towson, Maryland. Ms. Phelps was honored for her years of service in the transformation of Education Foundation, a nonprofit organization that was organized on October 26, 1992, as the Baltimore County Public Schools Education Foundation, Inc., and other philanthropic organization and boards in which she provides her time, talent and treasure.
The Education Foundation, under Section 501 (c) (3), attracts and directs public financial contributions to programs and activities of the school system in support of quality education for all children with the vision that all BCPS students will the resources to enable them to graduate globally competitive. Ms. Phelps, was appointed to the position in 2012, by Dr. S. Dallas Dance, BCPS Superintendent.
The goals of the foundation is to:
- Provide support and assist to S.T.A.T. (Students and Teacher Accessing Tomorrow) where all students have the access to curriculum through technology so learning is available anytime and anywhere.
- Provide scholarships opportunities to BCPS students to attend post-secondary education and obtain the knowledge and skills needed to be globally competitive.
- Provide schools the opportunity to apply for school-based grants that address one of the 21stCentury themes:
- Financial, Economic, Business Entrepreneurial Literacy
- Environmental Literacy
- Arts and Culture
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM)
- Health Literacy
- Global Awareness
- Civic Literacy
Ms. Phelps would like to extend her appreciation to the Luskin’s family for this honor and to thank all of the members of the BCPS executive staff, foundation board of directors and staff and friends who attended to participate in the celebratory evening. The Luskin Family Community Service Award acknowledges and salutes today’s leaders in Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County who are working to improve tomorrow’s Maryland.